[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jun 13 11:09:13 EDT 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Robyn Starkey wrote:
|I think the criticism of WH is a leetle harsh. But I can see the pov that it is
|horrible if you are reading it for enjoyment and as if it is a more modern
|novel; I don't think that's a reasonable comparison, and if that was your
|expectation, I can see how you would be annoyed by it. Having said that, it's a
|great book to teach because there are lots of great elements in it that you can
|pull out and discuss. Lots of books we all like go horribly in the classroom,
|as I think has been mentioned before. I wouldn't call it a "bad book" and
|compare it to the likes of, say, Killashandra, which is indeed a dire book.

My problem came because my prior knowledge of WH was from
Python's "WH in semaphore", and I had the impression that it was
a romance, with somewhat likeable characters.  So I was
*appalled* by Heathcliff, because it toom me hald the book to
realise I didn't need to like him.

-deborah
--
"You do not have to do everything disagreeable that you have a
right to do." 		-- Judith Martin (Miss Manners)