[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jun 13 08:58:34 EDT 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

|Dorian wrote:
|> The first volume of Stephen Donaldson's "Chronicles of Thomas
|> Covenant". [...]  Five hours spent wanting to kick Thomas
|> Covenant very hard in the rear.
|> Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire".  Five hours spent
|> wanting to kick Louis very hard in the rear.
|
|That's another kettle of eels. Who was it that set up a "codwalloping"
|list, collecting nominations for characters who would benefit greatly
|from a slap round the face with a wet fish? (Covenant. Heathcliff. Dora.
|ObDWJ: Gwendolyn.)

I know you both started with Covenant, but he deserves well more
than a cod in the face.

Donaldson is such a *waste*.  He can write such lovely prose, and
he spends it on his terrible, terrible characters.

[PS after looking at my random sig-o'-the-day: Now Peter S.
Beagle is an author who deserves the opposite of a cod in the
face.  Lovely prose *and* lovely characters, who start off
stubborn and miserable but unlike Donaldson characters they learn
and grow and become beautiful while flawed.  It's so sad Beagle
is being screwed over by his former publishers.]

-deborah
--
Hither then, swiftly, for I'm cold, I'm cold.
		-- _The Folk of the Air_