[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Jun 12 14:12:50 EDT 2006

Irina said...

> On Monday 12 June 2006 06:52, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:
>
>>   Anyone else got books they WISH they had never read?
>
> Oh yes, Sheri Tepper's _Beauty_ <shudder>.

Oh, goodness, yes!  What an infuriating book!  I thought I was going to get
a nice fairy-tale retelling fantasy story.  What I got was a mish-mash of
several fairy-tale retellings that couldn't decide whether to be fantasy or
science fiction, tacked onto insanely heavy-handed feminist polemic of the
men-are-all-evil variety.  I wanted to beat Tepper to death with it.  (And
it was all the worse because I'd enjoyed some of her other books.)

My other candidates for this category...

Golding's "The Lord of the Flies".  Yuck.  Just yuck.
Steinbeck's "The Pearl".  I don't mind gloomy books, but there are limits,
and this one went *way* past them.
Stephen King's "Salem's Lot".  Read on the recommendation of a college
friend.  There's five hours wasted in boredom that I won't get back again.
The first volume of Stephen Donaldson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant".
Read on the recommendation of the same college friend.  Five hours spent
wanting to kick Thomas Covenant very hard in the rear.
Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire".  Five hours spent wanting to kick
Louis very hard in the rear.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"