[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Mon Jun 12 22:31:44 EDT 2006

I love Perry's mysteries, but I tried her fantasy with considerable  trepidation because she just doesn't seem the fantasy type.  I  couldn't get past about page 3 of whichever one it was I tried (could  have been Tathea).  The writing was *horrible*.  How does she  manage to spellbind me with her mysteries and horrify me with her  fantasy?

  I have a love/hate relationship with Lackey's books.  I love the  concept of Valdemar and the way magic works there, and I enjoy her  characters although I feel they're slightly one-dimentional; but her  writing skills -- or rather lack thereof -- drive me nuts.  I  think she was born to be a storyteller, but not necessarily a  writer.  I'd like to see her around a campfire and see if she's  better at verbal storytelling rather than writing books.  (A  copyeditor would do worlds for her books, and being a professional  copyeditor, I've once or twice wished I could get my hands on her  manuscripts before they go to print.)

  E.

Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:  On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 18:57:15 -0700, sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:

>Anyone else got books they WISH they had never read?

_The Da Vinci Code_, groan.  My husband made me read it to see if I thought
he was right about something abusive the author had done to the text.  Or
else he really hated me.

_Tathea_ by Anne Perry.  Awful, pedestrian fantasy.  I can't seem to get
away from this book.

Almost everything I've ever read by Mercedes Lackey.  I'd try to cut out the
parts of my brain that hold those memories if it didn't mean losing the
memory that would prevent my reading them again.

Most of the really hideous books I've come into contact with, I've never
finished.  Otherwise I think they would come popping up at really bad times,
like when I'm driving on the freeway, causing me to scream and run into a
concrete median to make them go away.

Melissa Proffitt