[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Juliette Curtis juliette at harvestroad.com
Mon Jun 12 21:58:42 EDT 2006

I have flung Wuthering Heights across the room several times, usually
around page 50. That's where the cook says something like "The site
enjoys excellent diurnal ventilation." Why couldn't she say "It gets
windy up here"? Honestly, that is the worst piece of writing I have ever
failed to read, even worse than tDVC, which is saying something. There
is hardly a word in it with less than four syllables. "Diurnal
ventilation" for crying out loud. Emily Bronte wrote like a third-rate
provincial governess, which is more-or-less what she was. Or ought to
have been. Other people have told me the plot is excellent, and it might
be but I can't get past her truly appalling style of writing.