[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

sally at sallyodgers.com sally at sallyodgers.com
Mon Jun 12 20:00:09 EDT 2006

Otter Perry writes:

> What film is this?  When I search the IMdB, I get a 1945 film which
> doesn't
> seem to have the right plot,

It's the 1945 one. It stars Dame Wendy Hiller as a spirited rich English
girl who has always known what she wants. She tells her indulgent dad that
she is taking the boat to a Scottish island to marry a rich man. She goes to
Scotland, and discovers she has to wait for transport at a lodge... a navy
(I think he;s navy) officer named Torquil (DWJ???) is on leave there. It
devolves that to get to her island, she must wait for the ferry, but a storm
blows up so she's stranded. Determined to marry her rich man, she bribes a
boy to take her... She's portrayed as rash rather than horrible, and the
officer, Torquil, of course, is the true owner of the island, which is
leased to the richbloke for the duration. Torquil is the one who is under
the curse for save savage highlandish habits of his ancestors.

It's a great adventure romance, stylish and nicely acted. There are some
large dogs, an eagle (also called Torquil) and some comedy.

Sallyo