[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Jun 12 19:25:48 EDT 2006

On Sunday, June 11, 2006, at 07:57 PM, sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:

> Otter Perry writes:
>>  I'm trying to think who else I'd boast about not having read.
>> There's
>> a great deal I haven't read, you understand.  I'm just trying to think
>> who else I'd _boast_ about....
>
> War and Peace

Gee.  I quite like War and Peace.  Usually.  The last time I was little
annoyed
at how everybody sat around brooding about their lives, which isn't a
good
frame of mind in which to read it, so I stopped.

> Anyone else got books they WISH they had never read?

Other than tdVC?  Not exactly, though I was haunted for a long time
by bits of _The 120 Days of Sodom_ by the Marquis de Sade, which
I never got very far with and have never been much tempted to go
back to.

Some books are clearly a waste of time, and some books aren't
worth persevering with, and some books leave a nasty taste for a
while, but I wouldn't exactly say I wish I'd never read them.

I will say that it is possible to be very ill-advised about reading a
certain book in a certain place or at a certain time, but this mostly
involves horror stories when you're in a house alone late at
night.

It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have
those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of
speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence to
practice neither.

  -Mark Twain