[DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 10, Issue 14

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Mon Jun 12 12:35:05 EDT 2006

Ahhh, I remember.  I always identified with the underdog in  Streatfeild's stories, so I remember sympathizing with Nicky.  The  memory of those umbrellas made me laugh!

  E.

sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:  Elizabeth G. Holtrop writes:

> I know I read Tennis Shoes, but I don't remember the plot.  Fill me in?
>
>   E.

Family of 4.
Dad used to be great at tennis, but hurt himself.
He starts older twins on tennis practice with help (monetary) from
grandfather.
Nicky, third child, the Lydia/Posy figure, wants to play but they won't let
her.
Finally she gets her way to have lessons, but always has to wait and give
way to the older two... who are good, but not great. She gets a dog, and
sells the family umbrellas to get money for tennis... and is punished by
getting nothing but umbrellas for birthday and Christmas for two years.

Etc!

Of course, she turns out to be the champion. Somewhat like Cat/Gwendolyn in
CL...