[DWJ] Re: Love Story

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Jun 12 10:07:33 EDT 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:

> minnow at belfry.org.uk writes:
>
> > Kyla Tornheim wrote:
> > "no, you can't read the Nancy Drew
> >>books."
>
> Why? Because they were formulaic?

No, it wouldn't have been that, because my sister owned them. I was
probably about 7 or 8 at that point, because we stopped sharing a room
when I was 10, so I can only guess it was because my mom thought they
would be too scary for me. But I've never been nearly as scared by books
as by movies; after I watched The Dark Crystal, I thought for months that
skeksies (how *do* you spell that?) were hiding around the turns in the
staircase to get me. And Nancy Drew books are, well, about Nancy figuring
things out and outsmarting the bad guys, who get caught. So not terribly
scary.