[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jun 12 05:37:00 EDT 2006

Jane wrote:
> I'm embarrassed to say I don't agree here - I'm taking
> courage from confessing at the London meet that I enjoy some
> murder books, and I'm talking about them more than thrillers
> I think, but there's a big cross over.  There are some truly
> dreadful books around, but also loads of authors I would read
> again - Ian Rankin, Sara Paretsky, Kathy Reichs, ...
> erm.... I can't think of more now but there may be.  But the
> Da Vinci Code was appallingly bad - Martina Cole is the only
> thriller writer I've found who I disliked more, and that only
> because all the characters were so unlikeable as well as
> unbelievable.

I think there's a, thingy, spectrum between genres there- I'd put Sara
Paretsky, certainly, at the "mysteries" end of thrillers, whereas I
think Brown is much more at the Crichton/Bravo Two Zero end, where the
point of the book is more "exciting things happening" than a puzzle
plot. I don't like the thrillers nearly as much as mysteries, otherwise
I might have read TdVC just to be able to talk about it, but a mediocre
example of a genre I don't like anyway... pfft. (I think I'm violently
agreeing with you here, in fact.)
Jennifer