[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Jun 12 02:46:45 EDT 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Paul Andinach wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:
>
> > Anyone else got books they WISH they had never read?
>
> Some of the weirder works of Piers Anthony. Scarred for life, I am.
>

> Paul

Oh, that was what I was going to say, too, but you got there first!  I try
and try to think of what terrible qualities I must possess that caused me
to go through that Piers Anthony stage, but I just don't think I'm that
bad a person. :(

I feel very differently about Nabokov's _Ada_ - it's probably not utterly
without redeeming qualities, for one thing - but I also wish I hadn't read
that when I was twelve.  My uncle gave it to me, because he's a Nabokov
fan, and I suppose he felt that I would prefer a book about alternate
universes to anything else by Nabokov.  But I simply wasn't ready, at that
age, for a novel about a girl my age sleeping with her cousin, only then
it turned out that he was actually her half-brother, and then - and this
was the bit that really threw me - her full brother.  I simply couldn't
figure out how any woman could believe that she had given birth to someone
when, in fact, she hadn't.  That confused me profoundly.  Oh, yeah, and
all the incest.

The book really did scar me for life, though.  Ever since I read it, I've
genuinely believed that time doesn't exist - the part of the book that
explains why time doesn't exist was probably the only part of the book I
understood - and have been obsessed with clever names for children (the
twins in the book are named Aqua and Marina).

					---Kyra

---
"I wish that I could sing. / I'd stay in a melody. / I would float along
in my everlasting song."
			---Stuart Murdoch, "Act of the Apostle, Part 1"