[DWJ] Re: TdVC

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 12 00:20:15 EDT 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:

>  - What name you this sprog?
>  - Jenny.
> Whereupon the official would nod and write; "Jane".

I am reminded of the episode of the sitcom 'Dinosaurs' where they take
the baby to the Official Namer, and who says "I name this baby--" and
then has a heart attack, with the result that the scribe marks the
baby's new name down as Aargh Aargh I'm Dying You Idiot Sinclair.

> Was Sophie's dec. dad really called "Hatter" or was that just his
> job?

Could be both. Like you used to get smiths called Smith, on account of
that's what their forefathers have been all the way back to the
invention of surnames.

It's rather less likely with 'Hatter', I admit.

> And what would Sophie become? Sophie Jenkins? Sophie Hatter-Wizard?

Madame Pendragon in Kingsbury, Mrs. Jenkin in Porthaven, spoken of in
dark whispers in the Chipping Valley...

(Actually, does it not say at any point in 'Castle in the Air'?)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."