[DWJ] Re: Love Story

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Jun 11 22:23:53 EDT 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:

> ODWJM... I've never fancied Homewardbounders because of the ending.

I didn't read it for years because my mother warned me off, but did so by
saying that the ending was *really sad* and *really upsetting* and she
*really thought* I wouldn't like it, or would be too upset. And she
honestly did think that, and so I didn't read it until my sister said,
"y'know, there's a sad bit, but it's not crippling," so I read it and I'm
glad that I did.

I will note, however, that telling me *why* she thought I wouldn't like it
worked much better than when my mother said, "oh, um, er, I don't really
want you watching 'Dirty Dancing,'" or "no, you can't read the Nancy Drew
books." Those worked really well, considering we had the former on tape
and the latter lived in my sister's bookcase at the other end of the room
we shared. (I was generally a good kid, but the lesson that I have learned
is that you need to tell kids-like-me your reasons. Tell me it's really
scary and it'll freak me out and I'll stay far away. ;^)