[DWJ] London Meet

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Sat Jun 10 12:20:04 EDT 2006

The covers do look beautiful!

  E.

"Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC)" <Kylie.Ding at us.kline.com> wrote:  They come up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cart-and-Cwidder-Diana-Wynne-Jones-pb-1993-1st_W0QQitemZ7035843822QQcategoryZ2227QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and some on ABE:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bx=off&sts=t&ds=30&bi=0&an=jones&y=15&kn=dalemark&n=200000169&x=97&sortby=2

Kylie

 -----Original Message-----
 From: dwj-bounces at suberic.net on behalf of Elizabeth G. Holtrop
 Sent: Sat 10/06/2006 9:15 AM
 To: Diana Wynne Jones
 Subject: Re: [DWJ] London Meet

  I'd do a lot to get my hands on those Dalemark editions. I haven't even  been able to find any Dalemark books in my various libraries, despite  having come out as one of the characters in that  which-character-are-you test that I took last summer. I feel personally  offended that my libraries aren't better equipped. *sniff*

  Would that marketing depts. looked at books as works of art, or at  least productions to be proud of. What are other books you people think  came together well -- illustrations, font, copyediting, or what have  you?

     E.

 Minnow  wrote:
   One set of covers that was done with full knowledge of the contents of the
 books was for the trade-paperback Dalemark quartet from Mandarin in 1993.
 The artist read them all, and then did a panorama that continues from one
 book to another -- one can't get the full effect without having two copies
 of each book to lay out next to each other, because it wraps round to the
 back of each, and the order isn't quite right because it goes from the back
 of *Cart & Cwidder* through *Drowned Ammet* and *The Spellcoats* to the
 front of *The Crown of Dalemark*, but they're definitely related to each
 book at least to some extent, and don't get anything *wrong*.

 DWJ was allowed to see and approve them before they were used, too, as she
 has been for some (mostly English) editions of various books since.
 The idea of a book as being a thing produced by a team of people working
 together seems strangely old-fashioned, doesn't it?