[DWJ] before you die

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Jun 10 06:08:40 EDT 2006

>Minnow wrote
>
>> 'Tisn't quite as ominous as "See Naples and die" as a tourist advertisement!

Margaret Ball replied:
>You're right, I'd forgotten that one! though considering the traffic in
>Naples, it may be more of a prediction than an advertisement.

I think the phrase was coined, to be read as "Naples is so wonderful that
after seeing it life holds no more", at a time when Naples was remarkably
unhealthy as a place to be and tourists might have been likely to die of
disease.

I have a vague memory of this coming up in *What Katy Did Next*, though I
think that it was in Rome that the little girl whose name I can't remember
actually got plague or whatever it was she got.

Minnow