[DWJ] Re: Titles

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Sat Jun 10 04:58:52 EDT 2006

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 02:06:54PM +0800, Paul Andinach wrote:

>I am given to understand that there is actually an in-story reason for
>the assassin to be an albino, namely that it was irrational prejudice
>against albinos that drove him to murder in the first place.
>This strikes me as a case of having one's cake and eating it, though.

Well, yes. Like the old Ministry of Defence idea: homosexuals are a
security risk. Therefore if someone is homosexual, agents of Foreign
Powers can find this out and threaten him with the revelation of that
fact in order to get him to work for them. Therefore homosexuals are a
security risk.

For homosexuals, of course, you could easily read vegetarians,
Catholics, Russian-speakers, or anything else not immediately obvious to
the casual observer...