[DWJ] London Meet

Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) Kylie.Ding at us.kline.com
Sat Jun 10 04:43:01 EDT 2006

They come up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cart-and-Cwidder-Diana-Wynne-Jones-pb-1993-1st_W0QQitemZ7035843822QQcategoryZ2227QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and some on ABE:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bx=off&sts=t&ds=30&bi=0&an=jones&y=15&kn=dalemark&n=200000169&x=97&sortby=2

Kylie

	-----Original Message-----
	From: dwj-bounces at suberic.net on behalf of Elizabeth G. Holtrop
	Sent: Sat 10/06/2006 9:15 AM
	To: Diana Wynne Jones
	Subject: Re: [DWJ] London Meet

	I'd do a lot to get my hands on those Dalemark editions.  I haven't  even been able to find any Dalemark books in my various libraries,  despite having come out as one of the characters in that  which-character-are-you test that I took last summer.  I feel  personally offended that my libraries aren't better equipped.  *sniff*

	    Would that marketing depts. looked at books as works of art, or at  least productions to be proud of.  What are other books you people  think came together well -- illustrations, font, copyediting, or what  have you?

	    E.

	Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
	  One set of covers that was done with full knowledge of the contents of the
	books was for the trade-paperback Dalemark quartet from Mandarin in 1993.
	The artist read them all, and then did a panorama that continues from one
	book to another -- one can't get the full effect without having two copies
	of each book to lay out next to each other, because it wraps round to the
	back of each, and the order isn't quite right because it goes from the back
	of *Cart & Cwidder* through *Drowned Ammet* and *The Spellcoats* to the
	front of *The Crown of Dalemark*, but they're definitely related to each
	book at least to some extent, and don't get anything *wrong*.

	DWJ was allowed to see and approve them before they were used, too, as she
	has been for some (mostly English) editions of various books since.
	The idea of a book as being a thing produced by a team of people working
	together seems strangely old-fashioned, doesn't it?