[DWJ] Re: Titles

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 10 02:06:54 EDT 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) wrote:

> I think the person perpetrating albino stereotypes here is actually
> Dan Brown.

I am given to understand that there is actually an in-story reason for
the assassin to be an albino, namely that it was irrational prejudice
against albinos that drove him to murder in the first place.

This strikes me as a case of having one's cake and eating it, though.
Brown surely could have found something other than albinism if he'd
tried. (And should have: Wikipedia's article on the evil albino
stereotype makes a point of mentioning that the types of shenanigans
fictional evil albinos (including the one in DVC) get up to are
physically impossible for many real albinos, since albinism comes with
a raft of side-effects including poor eyesight and various degrees of
photophobia.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."