[DWJ] Titles

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Jun 9 11:04:36 EDT 2006

On Friday, June 9, 2006, at 12:52 AM, Charles Butler wrote:

> Maybe everyone else here already knows this, but I heard only yesterday
> evening that there's to be a new edition of *The Skiver's Guide* (at
> least in the UK),
> published this autumn by Barn Owl Books. Yay! (It's too early in the
> morning to Squee.)

Maybe for you.  Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I went straight to Amazon.co.uk and ordered it.  [I also got my order
for _Death of
a Ghost_ in while I was at it.]

> The Amazon.co.uk synopsis helpfully tells us that TSG is the most
> stolen book
> from public libraries in the world. I can believe it, given that the
> amorality of DWJ
> fans is matched only by their chilling fanaticism (many are rumoured
> to be albinos).

Well, _you_ can't pretend you don't know anything about _The DaVinci
Code_.
[Neither, of course, can I.]

> But then, rather curiously: "Diana Wynne-Jones is one of our most
> eminent writers
> of serious fiction for children but in Skivers' Guide she proves she
> can also reduce her
> readers to helpless mirth."
>
> Uh-oh. It's that old "serious=not funny" equation again.

Mr. Pratchett suffers from this.

> Isn't it good to know that Wynne-Jones has a sense of humour, though?
>  Who'da thunk it?

I certainly never guessed.  _A Sudden Wild Magic_, for instance, is
absolutely
stern throughout.  So is _The Tough Guide_.  Absolutely serious and
stern.  In
fact, I can't think of any of her books that isn't absolutely serious
and stern
throughout.

Speaking of Herself, I see there is also a new 72-page version of "Enna
Hittims" with illustrations.  Is this just the one story?

Mornings are a delusion of the
planet bound.