[DWJ] Titles

Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 9 02:52:19 EDT 2006

Maybe everyone else here already knows this, but I heard only yesterday evening that there's to be a new edition of *The Skiver's Guide* (at least in the UK), published this autumn by Barn Owl Books. Yay! (It's too early in the morning to Squee.)

  The Amazon.co.uk synopsis helpfully tells us that TSG is the most stolen book from public libraries in the world. I can believe it, given that the amorality of DWJ fans is matched only by their chilling fanaticism (many are rumoured to be albinos). But then, rather curiously: "Diana Wynne-Jones is one of our most eminent writers of serious fiction for children but in Skivers' Guide she proves she can also reduce her readers to helpless mirth."

  Uh-oh. It's that old "serious=not funny" equation again. Isn't it good to know that Wynne-Jones has a sense of humour, though? Who'da thunk it?

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk