[DWJ] London Meet

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jun 7 21:02:00 EDT 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Margaret Ball wrote:

> Elizabeth wrote
>
> > I've given up looking at fantasy book covers for *any* clue about
> > the story; sometimes I really do wonder if the publisher mixed up
> > the manuscript with another one when they sent out illustration
> > assignments! *g*

> I'm not sure they even send the manuscripts!

My understanding (from what others have said) is that they generally
don't - usually it's just a description of the book, or even just a
description of the scene they've already picked out. There usually
isn't enough slack in the production process for the artist to read
the whole book and think deeply about what to put on the cover.

> One time an editor called me and said, "We're having the cover done
> this week; is the story essentially the same as the synopsis you
> sold us?" leaving me with the lowering suspicion that even the
> editors don't always read the manuscripts.

Perhaps what he meant was, "We're just going to send the synopsis;
would you agree that that gives a sufficient feel for the story?"

Even so, I agree, it's an odd way to put it.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."