[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

sally at sallyodgers.com sally at sallyodgers.com
Wed Jun 7 20:58:49 EDT 2006

Robyn Starkey writes:

>> "The McCrystals and Martin," sounds intriguing, whereas I would never
>> even pick up a book called "Welcome to the Weirdie Club" (unless, of
>> course, it had your name on it!)
>>
>> But then, your publishers probably don't want marketing feedback from the
>> only living person in the English-speaking world who hasn't read "The
>> DaVinci Code."

I haven't read it either. Or LOTR. Or seen Titanic through. I almost never
read/see MUST SEEs. Experience has taught me I have weird taste.

The McCrystals were a family of retro-hippy Mal and her husband and their
fey daughter Alice... and "straight" Cousin Julia. Alice has hidden a small
portanble ghost in Julia's binocular case... it was called Martin. My ed
wanted a "spooky name for the ghost", but I didn't see why.  Another ed
wanted to change a villainous kid in one of my other books from Donald
Dennis to Billy Blunder or some such. I mean - ICK. Up Pompei got a lot of
fun out of Ludicrous Sextus style names, but I find that kind of humour gets
old quickly.