[DWJ] London Meet

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 7 17:59:21 EDT 2006

Thank you so much Kylie for uploading the photos. It was lovely to see you all - I had such a huge smile on my face as I was looking at you, because it was like seeing old friends, even though I've actually only met Bettina in real life before. (Hi Bettina!)
Thank you for enabling the rest of us to share vicariously in what appears to have been a really enjoyable occasion.
 - And I endorse your sentiments about this list - reading list emails is always an enjoyable part of my day.

Regards
Elizabeth (Evans) from New Zealand.

Kylie said:

Finally uploaded my photos!  They can be seen at: http://members.iinet.net.au/~tesseract/20060601_DWJ_Listmeet/

The meet was great!  Lovely meeting the new people and seeing the old people again.

I didn't have trouble finding anyone at the museum, I'd seen Roger recently, and he was there before me.  I didn't even need to spot the fluffy Calcifer.  It took around an hour for everyone to arrive.  It was at that point we thought maybe we should have been a little more organised with contact details and contingency plans.  There was a lot of staring at random passerbys wondering if they were one of us!  I actually spotted Phillip on one of his circuits of the museum and wondered if it was him.  It had been quite a while since I saw a photo of him, and I couldn't see the title of the book he was carrying, so I didn't approach him.

Most of us disappeared off to a pub that Meredith recommended and grabbed lots of tables in an upstairs room, while a few people waited for stragglers at the museum.

The conversation was interesting.  There were awkward silences to start with - it's a bit strange talking after being used to communicating only via email!  But we soon got into the swing of things, and after the conversation got around to food (I think it took about five minutes!) the ice was broken and we got into full list communication mode.

It was a bit awkward having such a long table - there was usually a conversation happening at each end.  A few of us moved around and I think everyone got to talk to everyone.  We discussed many books, much food, and lots of general bits and pieces.  Meredith did a poll on out favourite DWJ books and I believe Fire and Hemlock came out on top, with Deep Secret second.

Later in the afternoon most of us went to the Oxfam bookshop nearby.  I have never seen that many Adults squeezed into a children's section!  There was only one DWJ book there - a copy of Drowned Ammet and I don't think anyone bought it - we all already own it!

Next bookship was Forbidden Planet.  Ania discovered hardback copies of the new Firebirds anthology containing a new DWJ short story.  I dithered for a while but in the end I decided that buying a book containing new DWJ short story would provide me with a perfect memento of the day, and hang the expense!

That is where I left, so I'm not sure if anything else worth reporting on happened.

A lovely day with great people.  This list has given me so much pleasure over the years. It is great to be associated with such intelligent, well-read, and downright nice people!  Meeting some of you in person was great.

Byeeeee,
Kylie