[DWJ] London Meet

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Wed Jun 7 15:06:02 EDT 2006

I'm pretty sure illustrators don't usually see the ms, even if they  wanted to.  I feel bad for the artists sometimes; surely they'd  like it if their pictures better matched the stories.  Then again,  some cover pics really look like the artist ought to find another  vocation.

  E.

Margaret Ball <margaret at onr.com> wrote:  Elizabeth wrote

>  I've given up looking at fantasy book covers for *any* clue about the  story; sometimes I really do wonder if the publisher mixed up the  manuscript with another one when they sent out illustration  assignments! *g*
I'm not sure they even send the manuscripts! One time an editor called
me and said, "We're having the cover done this week; is the story
essentially the same as the synopsis you sold us?" leaving me with the
lowering suspicion that even the editors don't always read the
manuscripts. I'd like to attribute this to a well-deserved faith in my
punctuation and spelling, not to admit the ability to write a complete
English sentence, but feel that there may possibly be other factors
involved.

--
-Margaret Ball
www.flameweaver.com