[DWJ] London Meet

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Wed Jun 7 13:36:04 EDT 2006

Isn't it possible her publisher insisted on more conventional  titles?  I've heard of stories where the author fought tooth and  nail for one title and the publisher insisted on another.  Then  again, if DWJ had come up with more appealing titles for Deep Secret,  Dark Lord, etc., I can't think why a publisher would want to change  them.

  The Dark Lord of Derkholm, actually, doesn't seem that boring to me and  I think it fits the book pretty well.  That said, what would any  of you change it to?  I liked the previous email that suggested  Hotel Babylon instead of Deep Secret.

Juliette Curtis <juliette at harvestroad.com> wrote:  I think some of DWJ's titles sound very cliched and work against the
books by putting off potential readers. "The Dark Lord of DerkHolm",
"Deep Secret", "Hexwood" and "A Sudden Wild Magic" all sounded to me
like dreary cookie-cutter sword-and-sorcery novels when I first saw them
in bookshops. I bought these novels only because DWJ wrote them -- they
did not appeal to me at all. In each case I found the book was very much
more than its title and cover suggested and DS is now my favourite DWJ
novel. I am sure that many people don't even take these books off the
bookshop shelf because it sounds boring.

Interesting that DWJ should have made this mistake with several titles.
She is so literate, perceptive and erudite, and clear-eyed enough to
have written The Tough Guide. Perhaps she does not realise that there
are many people who recognise a cliche but don't realise that she can
turn cliches on their heads.

"Eight Days of Luke", OTOH, intrigued me immediately.