[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 6 12:32:30 EDT 2006

On the other hand, writers often use working titles, and then get used to them, and find themselves unable to look at the finished product with the freshness and detachment needed to judge whether they're any good. For example: *The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe* was a working title, and C S Lewis apparently expected his publisher to come up with a better one - and was only with difficulty persuaded that it would do. ObDWJ, *The Merlin Conspiracy* had a much more pedestrian working title ('The Magic of Blest'). I think it might have been DWJ's agent who came up with the one she eventually used.

  But titles do seem to be more of a cooperative enterprise, altogether. It's not just editors, marketing people get involved too (as I know to my cost).

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk