[DWJ] Re: Pizza toppings

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Thu Jul 27 08:05:16 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:23:57PM +0100, Minnow wrote:

>And thinking about
>it, when people I know talk about "take-away" food they generally turn out
>to mean Chinese or Indian or fish-and-chips.  The only ones I know who
>regularly have takeaway pizzas delivered are [a] men living alone and [b]
>seriously overweight (I mean as in, fat enough for it to be a handicap to
>them in their lives).  Maybe in England pizza has been more regarded as
>"junk food" than the alternatives?

It was the first sort of food that one could reliably get _delivered_ in
this country. (In fact, it's a minor plot point in Douglas Adams' _The
Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul_ (1988) that pizza delivery wasn't
available in England at the time.) This has now changed to the point that there are about 20 pizza places
that will deliver to me in East London (and about ten Chinese and ten
Indian - and between them they can manage fish-and-chips, fried chicken,
burgers and kebabs as well).

A pizza takes longer to make than standard take-away, so initially it
tended to be available in restaurants rather than fast-food places. Even
with a conveyor-belt pizza oven, it can't beat fish-and-chips or the
other standards for convenience over the counter - and certainly not a
burger joint, which has actually been _designed_ for fast service. The
only exception is the "pizza by the slice" that one sometimes sees in
town, where it's been made well in advance and kept hot.