[DWJ] Pratchett News, lurker peeks out, etc etc

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Jul 26 21:53:39 EDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Judith Ridge wrote:
|I blogged about "Magic or Madness" back in December, for what it's worth:
|
|http://www.misrule.com.au/serendipity/archives/304_More_December_Reading.htm

I thought M or M was okay.  I was thrown off by how forced the
culture shock felt.  Americans would not, as a whole, react so
badly to the word Mum or the concept of pineapple on pizza,
though I can understand misunderstandings around the word "mad",
and I suppose I can understand a street child not understanding
what an aborigine is. The book itself was pretty good, but the
constant theme of culture shock just really threw me because I
didn't find it at all realistic.

has anyone read the Claire Dunkle books?  Hollow Kingdom, Coils
of the Snake, et al? Because I want someone with whom I could
rant about how horrifically misogynist and racist they are,
but I don't have the heart to make anybody else read them.

-deborah
--
What is an 'evil shape', I wonder?  Could a triangle be evil, for
example?  Are some kind of triangles decent and God-fearing,