[DWJ] Pratchett News, lurker peeks out, etc etc

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Wed Jul 26 20:22:11 EDT 2006

Magic Lessons is the sequel to Magic or Madness, by Justine Larbalestier
(who, for anyone that's interested, is the wife of Scott Westerfeld).

Magic or Madness is about Reason Cansino, a girl who has been brought up by
her (crazy, paranoid) mother as they ran around the Australian outback
trying to escape Reason's Evil Grandmother, who is a witch. Except there's
no such thing as magic, is there? The crazy mother gets institutionalised
and Reason is sent to live with Evil Grandmother. Except, there IS such a
thing as magic. So does that mean that the grandmother isn't evil?

I'm not going to go any more into the plot (spoilers abound), but the New
York/Sydney thing is fantastic. The think I like the most about this series
is the way that magic is not a gift, or a privilege. It's a burden. It has
very real consequences, and people who can do magic have to pay a terrible
price. There's no easy out.

Magic Lessons is even better than MorM. Much darker and twisty. I'm hanging
out for book 3, Magic's Child.

Lili Wilkinson
Web Project Manager & Event Coordinator
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
PH: 03 86647014
FAX: 03 96394143
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/readalert/
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/youthlit/

             "anita graham"
             <amgraham at it.net.
             au>                                                        To
             Sent by:                  "'Diana Wynne Jones'"
             dwj-bounces at suber         <dwj at suberic.net>
             ic.net                                                     cc

                                                                   Subject
             26/07/2006 22:38          RE: [DWJ] Pratchett News, lurker
                                       peeks out, etc etc

             Please respond to
             Diana Wynne Jones
             <dwj at suberic.net>

I am no big contributor to this list (semi-lurker I guess would be the best
I could hope for) but it IS a great list for books, authors and other
recommendations.

Two new books to wait for (not even counting The Pinhoe Egg, as it is far
too on-topic) mentioned in just a few posts - a new Tiffany Aching AND a
new
Jasper Fforde!

I'm not sure which list I can thank but this list is certainly partly
responsible for my Pratchett and Bujold collections. I don't think the four
- no, five - Ffordes can count as a collection.

Like widdy I read the early Pratchetts (Color of Magic, Light Fantastic)
many a long year ago and couldn't be bothered with any more. Now I have
them
all - although not all in HB. I think the Guards series may be a good
starter. They all need to be reread in light of later (or prior) knowledge,
anyway. I do enjoy Pyramids too. I am a bit too squeamish for Small Gods.
Melissa is truly fortunate if she is (or is to be) Granny Weatherwax. I
fear
I am Magrat (at best) or one of the rival young witches in Lancre. But not
Perdita, unfortunately.

Re Bujold: I have sort of stopped. I don't have Winterfair Gifts, and I've
recently bought Diplomatic Immunity, but haven't opened it. Not sure why -
perhaps the opportunity for an uninterrupted read has not yet arrived. I
bought and started Curse of Chalion and have gone no further, although my
son (15) has read the next one and enjoyed. Perhaps I could get the third
for his birthday next month.

On other fronts I am enjoying 'Corydon and the Monsters' by Tobias Druitt
(but really an 8 year old child and his mother, who is a
sometimes-girlsowner), and 'The Betrayal of Bindie MacKenzie' by Jaclyn
Moriarty and I'm waiting impatiently for the book which should follow
'Magic
or Madness' by Justine Larbalestier. I really enjoyed this last one which
is
really  original and operates in Sydney and New York, with a great sense of
place for both of them. Perhaps someone who is better at reviewing books
(Judith?, Robyn?, please don't get cross if I've forgotten someone else?)
could give a better idea of it.

Anita (in Perth, Australia)