[DWJ] Pratchett Convert

O. Elizabeth Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Jul 25 22:33:59 EDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 6:54 PM, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:

> I've only read a few Pratchetts. <snip>

> I loved Night Watch but I got the feeling I was missing a
> lot of what  was going on.

You definitely were.  All the previous books with Sam Vimes
and the Watch, all the previous books with the faculty of
Unseen University, all the previous books with the Sweeper.

It really helps to read them all in order once you get
hooked.  It took him the first four or so to get into
his stride, and his stride has led him down some interesting
paths.  So I think it's useful to read them as much in
order as you can, starting with _Mort_.

Another reason to read them in order if you can:
Mr. Pratchett claims that there are no errors, but there
are some alternate pasts.  To the untutored mind, these
look like inconsistencies.  They look that way to the
tutored mind as well, but we forgive him because we
love him.

Some notes about what happens in the first four, in case
you're going to skip them at first:

The first four involve Rincewind, a cowardly and incom-
petent wizard.  [He turns up in some of the later ones
as well.]  They also have a lot of ideas that were more
fully developed later.

The first one, _The Colour of Magic_, is mostly parodies
of some other writers, including McCaffrey.  The second,
_The Light Fantastic_, completes the story and contains
one of his most outrageous puns. [I believe _Soul Music_
has the other.  That's my humble opinion, of course.]
It also introduces, very briefly, the Librarian, but don't
worry. You'll learn what you need to know about the
Librarian somewhere along the way.  And you, too, will
understand why the lady at the con in _Deep Secret_ is
wearing a t-shirt that says "OOK".

The third one, Equal Rites, introduces Granny Weatherwax,
who grew into a very important person in later books.

And the fourth, _Sourcery_, has a lot more about magic.

> <snip> I look forward to reading Guards, Guards and some
> others, if I can get my hands on them.  For some reason,
> my libraries are low on Pratchett.

Complain.  Moan.  Lament.  They're all readily available in
paperback, I believe, so that your library doesn't have to
spend tons of money.  Or you can try inter-library loan.

For a complete list, in order of publication, you can go
to:

http://www.colin-smythe.com/discworldpages/dwindex.htm

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you
commit atrocities.

                                                  - Voltaire