[DWJ] Pratchett Convert

Tue Jul 25 22:26:10 EDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:52:41 -0500, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

>And I need to know where to go next. What would you recommend as a good
>"adult" Pratchett to start with? I'll read them all eventually, but I want
>another zinger.

Mwahahaha, you have been assimilated....

You'll probably find that you prefer one of the mini-serieses over the
others, but there's really no way to tell until you've read one.  If you
take the...actually the second-from-the-top of each of Juliette's lists, you
get a solid idea for what the later books will be like.  I am personally a
big fan of the Guards series (yay Captain Carrot!) and I think _Feet of
Clay_ is the one I read most often--funny, but deadly serious on the subject
of free will and personal responsibility.

Also, you really ought to read the Tiffany Aching books, _The Wee Free Men_
and _A Hat Full of Sky_, because the NEXT Pratchett book is a Tiffany book.
I think both of them are closer to being "grown-up" books than _Maurice_ is,
and they can be viewed as a tangent to the Witches series.  When I grow up,
I am probably going to be Granny Weatherwax...unless I am already, which is
possible.

Melissa Proffitt