[DWJ] Pratchett Convert

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 18:52:41 EDT 2006

Two years ago, this list got me hooked on Lois McMaster Bujold - so much so
that I just finished my second re-read of the entire Vorkosigan series in
the same number of years. I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be an
annual tradition.

And now, I'm glad to report, I'm hooked on someone else: Pratchett. I read,
and loved, "Good Omens" years ago. But I read that because I loved Neil
Gaiman's work. And I read a couple of the early Discworld books. While I
enjoyed them, they didn't grab me round the throat and shout "read more!!"
And I remember someone on the list (Melissa, perhaps) saying that the later
books were much better. My problem is I'm a Virgo and I like reading things
in order, so I had to find a later book that would stand on its own fairly
well. So I picked up "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents" this
weekend and just devoured it. As in "stopped working a couple of hours early
today so I could finish it before heading off to the bookstore tonight to
buy more more more".

What a brilliant book. Fun, witty, and deadly serious and philosophical. And
terrifying. And full of characters I fell in love with. I found myself
turning down the corners on so many quotes that I wanted to come back to:

(hopefully no spoilers, but there may be - so stop if you don't want them)

". . . it just kept asking the wrong questions. A wrong question for Maurice
was one that he didn't want anyone to ask."

". . . the kind of raw cunning that would get you out of the traps that
overexcited intelligence got you into."

"She thought animals were just people who hadn't been paying enough
attention."

"He's a trap hunter, just like me. He goes ahead of us and finds the
dangerous ideas and traps them in words and makes them safe, and then he
shows us the way through."

And, finally, the best, most Buffy-worthy quote of them all: "You know, in
many ways I don't think this adventure has been properly organized."

So, my brain and heart thank this group again. And my wallet and bank
balance hate you ;-)

And I need to know where to go next. What would you recommend as a good
"adult" Pratchett to start with? I'll read them all eventually, but I want
another zinger.

thanks all

widdy

--
Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread,
remade all the time, made new.
iwriddell at gmail.com