[DWJ] Sanderson

Mon Jul 24 15:14:09 EDT 2006

Explaining the plot of _Elantris_ was difficult, precisely because it sounds
like a Tough Guide parody.  But the book itself is far too political, and
has too good a magic system, to fall into that category.  It is not a quest
story.  The main character is essentially dead for much of the book.  The
main bad guy is complex and fascinating and not really a bad guy (that might
be giving something away, but I think not; the plot does not hinge on
suddenly discovering that he's a White Hat after all).  The writing is
better than standard and tends toward the literary end of the spectrum
without being overly lyrical.  There are some flaws, of course, but they're
mostly ones you could attribute to his being a first-time novelist.

All of this is why I haven't bothered reading reviews for _Mistborn_ and
will just read the book.  I would like to see if Sanderson was just lucky or
is actually a good writer.  My sense is that he goes for the evocative
rather than the descriptive, and that doesn't always work out.  Sometimes a
writer can get so caught up in creating a mood that he forgets silly little
things like plot consistency and three-dimensional characters.  If he can
continue to create substance as well as feeling, he's probably going to do
all right.

Melissa Proffitt