[DWJ] Sanderson

Mon Jul 24 13:45:20 EDT 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:07:46 +0200, liril at gmx.net wrote:

>The discussion of the Chalion books reminded my of a recommendation amazon sent me because I bought CoC - "Mistborn" by ? Sanderson.
>
>It has the following review:
>
>"Sanderson's eerie second fantasy (after 2005's Elantris), set in a
>mist-haunted, ash-ridden world, pits Kelsier, "the Survivor of
>Hathsin," against the immortal Lord Ruler's 1,000-year domination of
>both the Great Houses and their serflike "skaa." Through Allomancy
>acquired in the Ruler's most hellish prison, Kelsier can "burn" 10
>metals internally, fueling superhuman powers he uses to assemble rebels
>in a loose plan to destroy the nobility, the empire and the Lord Ruler
>himself. Kelsier uses Vin, a street urchin with the same Mistborn
>powers Kelsier possesses, to infiltrate the Great Houses' society,
>where she falls in love with philosopher prince Elend Venture. This
>mystico-metallurgical fantasy combines Vin's coming-of-age-in-magic
>and... "
>
>Now - is that just me, or is that funny?
>Of course, this is one of the cases where a German native speaker is distracted - and even twice (mist = dung, crap..., elend = misery) Normally I have no German associations with the word mist, but somehow Mistborn is something else (maybe it's the capital letters). But notwithstanding Mist & Elend  - the bit about "burning" metals internally to assemle rebels in a loose plan?? (And on top of that, "the survivor of Hathsin" - bless you?)
>
>Does anybody know the book?

I was highly impressed by Brandon Sanderson's first book, _Elantris_, and I
should be getting _Mistborn_ soon.  (It was only just published in the last
week or so, and I'm a cheapskate.)  It was very difficult to explain the
plot of _Elantris_ sufficiently, so the, um, unintelligibility of the above
review (Publishers Weekly, BTW) is probably fair.  Sanderson has this weird
thing about names--they make sense within the book, but when they're first
presented, they seem really really stupid.  In _Elantris_, the characters
from a certain country all had very difficult-to-pronounce, stupid-looking
names; it was incongruous in what is otherwise a surprisingly mature first
novel.  Then you realize that all of the names have as a root a magical
syllable that has symbolic meaning.  So it makes sense, but I don't think
Sanderson sounds out his names before he writes them.  :)

I'd love to hear if anyone else has read _Elantris_ and what you think.
It's been the source of some controversy in my reading group--i.e. some
people think it's awful, and I think they're crazy.

Melissa Proffitt