[DWJ] Sanderson

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Mon Jul 24 11:07:46 EDT 2006

The discussion of the Chalion books reminded my of a recommendation amazon sent me because I bought CoC - "Mistborn" by ? Sanderson.

It has the following review:

"Sanderson's eerie second fantasy (after 2005's Elantris), set in a
mist-haunted, ash-ridden world, pits Kelsier, "the Survivor of
Hathsin," against the immortal Lord Ruler's 1,000-year domination of
both the Great Houses and their serflike "skaa." Through Allomancy
acquired in the Ruler's most hellish prison, Kelsier can "burn" 10
metals internally, fueling superhuman powers he uses to assemble rebels
in a loose plan to destroy the nobility, the empire and the Lord Ruler
himself. Kelsier uses Vin, a street urchin with the same Mistborn
powers Kelsier possesses, to infiltrate the Great Houses' society,
where she falls in love with philosopher prince Elend Venture. This
mystico-metallurgical fantasy combines Vin's coming-of-age-in-magic
and... "

Now - is that just me, or is that funny?
Of course, this is one of the cases where a German native speaker is distracted - and even twice (mist = dung, crap..., elend = misery) Normally I have no German associations with the word mist, but somehow Mistborn is something else (maybe it's the capital letters). But notwithstanding Mist & Elend  - the bit about "burning" metals internally to assemle rebels in a loose plan?? (And on top of that, "the survivor of Hathsin" - bless you?)

Does anybody know the book?

ObDWJ: There was one name in a DWJ book that really distracted my form the story. Wizard Wermacht in YotG...

And I only got the Durmstrang pun in HP because someone on this list pointed me to it. Probably because the internal pronounciations didn't match at all.