[DWJ] a confession...

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Sat Jul 22 20:24:35 EDT 2006

About 7 years ago, I was working in a little quiet bookshop called
Shellings. It was round about the same time that all the DWJs suddenly
exploded back into print, and I nearly died with joy that I didn't have to
steal the library copy of F&H after all.

and in the little bookshop, there was a book by DWJ called Deep Secret,
which I bought, despite being a little dubious about the title. And, to my
memory, I read it and didn't think much of it. So I stuck it on my shelf
and didn't look at it again.

Then you lot all started talking about it with reverence, and I read the
Merlin Conspiracy and had ABSOLUTELY no memories of Nick. So, yesterday
morning I picked it up and started reading it over toast and tea.

And I'd never read it before. I don't know what happened (I was probably
having a messy teen breakup or something), but I just never read it. And
now I am all bleary from staying up half the night finishing it, and I got
NO work done yesterday.

But it was very, very good.

It was like when you find a $20 note you had forgotten you put under
something. Or when you get another birthday present that you weren't
expecting, even though it's a week after your birthday. I'm trying to think
of a less materialistic example, but I'm too sleepy...

...anyway, thanks DWJers, for making me rediscover a joyful book i didn't
know i had...