[DWJ] A revelation of Time City

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jul 22 04:45:32 EDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Elizabeth Bentley wrote:

> On 17/7/06 22:41, "Otter Perry" <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote:

> > In any case, I don't think we need a formal policy here other than
> > "Don't tell whodunnit in _The Murder of Roger Ackroyd_."
>
> My daughter is doing an Open University degree, studying
> linguistics, and one of the set books does that very thing
> (Exploring the language of poems, plays and prose by Mick Short, in
> case you want to avoid it). She told us about it in great
> indignation the other day. But I guess academic books are like that!

One day when I was at university, I was browsing among the stacks in
the library and encountered an academic book which unexpectedly gave
away the ending of 'The Mousetrap' in the midst of an essay about a
different play entirely. I can see why the author did it (it was in
the context of "This is how you can tell the playwright was familiar
with 'The Mousetrap'"), and I'm not enough of a Christie fan that I'm
ever likely to have gone to see 'The Mousetrap' anyway, but it was
still annoying.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."