[DWJ] Turntables of the Night (was: RE: Insomnia)

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 20 15:02:21 EDT 2006

Quoting Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com>:
> On Jul 20, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Charles Butler wrote:
>
> >   Ooh, could you say more? My son was recently taught
> >  that it was nothing to do with Vespucci, but was named
> > after a Bristol merchant of Welsh descent (John ap Meric),
> > who was one of the sponsors of John Cabot. Or Giovanni
> > Caboto, if you prefer. On the other hand, a medieval historian
> > of my acquaintance who has looked at the original documents
> > says there's very little evidence for this - but I kind of like the
> > idea of America as a Welsh name.
>
> I kind of like the idea, too, but I haven't heard this version.

I *think* there is a discussion of the naming of "America" in Lilian Bouzane's
novel "In the Hands of the Living God," which is about Cabot's wife Mathye.
(which I read about 7 years ago, so my memory is fuzzy). There's also some
suggestion that Cabot's ship "The Matthew" was named for his wife.

ObDWJ: Cabot departed from Bristol!