[DWJ] Turntables of the Night (was: RE: Insomnia)

Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 20 14:16:47 EDT 2006

Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote:

  >Just like we're going to keep calling America America
even though the name is result of an accidental blip
in the history of its exploration which was fortuitously
picked up by a mapmaker

  Ooh, could you say more? My son was recently taught that it was nothing to do with Vespucci, but was named after a Bristol merchant of Welsh descent (John ap Meric), who was one of the sponsors of John Cabot. Or Giovanni Caboto, if you prefer. On the other hand, a medieval historian of my acquaintance who has looked at the original documents says there's very little evidence for this - but I kind of like the idea of America as a Welsh name.

  How complicated this world is!

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk