[DWJ] A revelation of Time City

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Jul 19 21:18:12 EDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> Deborah's sig quote...
>
>> "`I am that merry wanderer of the night'?  I am that
>> giggling-dangerous-
>> totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb, more like it."
>> -neil gaiman
>
> I saw a production of the Dream last week, and this quote leapt
> screamingly
> to mind at the appropriate point!  Puck wasn't played quite psychotic,
> but
> certainly giggling, dangerous, and a menace to life and limb (and,
> apparently, in love - or lust - with Oberon in a sub-dom kind of way).

This seems like a perfectly conventional interpretation to me.  Nobody
can say Puck is the sort you'd want as a house pet.  Unless you were
a leather daddy.

There's a USAlien comic strip, _Pibgorn_, available only on the web
[ http://www.comics.com/comics/pibgorn/index.html ] [new strips
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday] which is doing a version of Dream
at the moment.  It's interesting because there's a lot of  -- to say
the least -- unconventional casting.  Puck and Bottom are both
female, for example.  One of the real kickers is that the 'little
Indian boy' is fully adult, which makes Oberon's annoyance
with Titania extremely understandable.  Today's strip shows
Bottom's metamorphosis into an ass.

But the point of all this is that Puck is in love with Oberon, who's
perfectly willing to sleep with her, but loves Titania.

The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war
appears to be one of the most ancient and
dangerous of human illusions.

                                 - Robert Lynd