[DWJ] Insomnia

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Jul 18 22:04:51 EDT 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> Hello DWJers. I can't sleep.

Goodness gracious.

I didn't sleep last night either, and spent part of the time
worrying, but don't have anything anywhere near as
interesting to worry about.

> I can't sleep, and yet tomorrow morning I need to be somewhat focused
> as I
> call Terry Pratchett and interview him over the telephone, to promote
> his
> latest book which has been translated into Hebrew. Yet another reason
> to be
> antsy, but in a good way. I'm worried that I haven't actually finished
> reading the book, even though none of the questions I want to ask are
> directly related to the book but rather general questions about the
> wonderfulness of Terry Pratchett. And I'm worried that my questions
> will be
> trite, or arrogant, or annoying, or too fannish, or go over the heads
> of the
> general public of not-necessarily-Pratchett-fanatics that will end up
> reading the interview.

I've always had the impression that if you're moderately familiar with
his work -- that is, if you're not saying 'so what's this Discworld all
about anyway?' -- that he's a pretty cool guy to interview.

I am myself a Pratchett -- well, 'fan' doesn't begin to describe it.

> I've applied and been accepted at Roehampton University in
> London, starting spring 2007 (fall 2006 is too soon, fall 2007 will be
> too
> late because I'll probably have to translate the next Harry Potter by
> then,
> and also because every little delay makes transferring the children
> more
> difficult). But if we're really going to be relocating to London, my
> husband
> is going to need a work permit and a job, and we'll need to find a
> flat, and
> kindergarten for the children, and massive funding, and someone to
> adopt our
> cat... AAAAAAAAGHHH. Just to much to think about.

Good luck.

> Not to mention there's a war now, which is just too awful to even think
> about.

Not to mention.  I hope you and your family will stay safe.  And that
all this weirdness will stop.

The only jobs for which no man is qualified are human
incubator and wet nurse. Likewise, the only job for
which no women is or can be qualified is sperm donor.

                             --  Wilma Scott Heide