[DWJ] A revelation of Time City

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 17 21:11:17 EDT 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Minnow wrote:

> Otter wrote
>
> > I always assumed Poul rhymed with [obDWJ] Howl.
>
> That's what I sort-of-thought (with a side bet on it rhyming with
> "soul") until I read someone, possibly Robert Heinlein, commenting
> that Poul Anderson's name was essentially impossible to pronounce
> correctly unless one had the same ancestry and upbringing as the man
> himself -- which I haven't.

I always assumed it to rhyme with Howl as well, until I came across...
I think it may have been the same comment as Minnow, although I'm
certain it wasn't Heinlein (but can't remember who it was). I remember
the bit about it being essentially impossible to pronounce without the
right background, but I also remember that whoever-it-was attempted to
describe it anyway, and I came away with the impression that it's
pronounced more-or-less as two syllables - Po ul - but squashed
together into into a single-syllable space.

(Incidentally, there's an old Doctor Who story with a character named
Poul, probably after Anderson, and all the characters pronounce it
"Pool". But there's no reason to assume they know something we don't.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."