[DWJ] A revelation of Time City

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Jul 17 17:41:42 EDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 1:17 PM, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> For me it depends on the book in question.  I have vivid memories
> of sitting in ninth grade English class (that's when you are 14,
> for the non-Americans amongst us) and being assigned Shirley
> Jackson's "The Lottery", at which pont one of my classmates spoke
> up and said "oh, is that the one where it turns out it's really
> [SPOILER]?" Those of you who know the story will understand why
> this was somewhat frustrating.

Hmm.  Well, I assume that person has since been murdered.  It's
like telling you whodunnit in _The Murder of Roger Ackroyd_.  I
was quite impressed by the public reticence on the major twist
in _The Sixth Sense_.  I was able to see the movie long after it
opened without having had it ruined for me.  That said, I should
remark I once talked to someone who had been told the twist
the first time she heard about it.  So not all the public is reticent.

In any case, I don't think we need a formal policy here other
than "Don't tell whodunnit in _The Murder of Roger Ackroyd_."

If they can get you asking the wrong questions,
they don't have to worry about the answers.

                                                  -- Thomas Pynchon