[DWJ] A revelation of Time City

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Jul 17 15:17:38 EDT 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
|But in any case, I don't at all mind spoilers.  The way I see it, I may learn,
|before reading, that X does Y (shock horror), but I still have to read the book
|(or see the film) in order to find out *why* X does Y (not to mention when, and
|how, and under what circumstances).  I also often read the last couple of pages
|of a book when I'm about a quarter of the way through the book.  This mindset
|is probably also why I can read whodunnits over and again.

For me it depends on the book in question.  I have vivid memories
of sitting in ninth grade English class (that's when you are 14,
for the non-Americans amongst us) and being assigned Shirley
Jackson's "The Lottery", at which pont one of my classmates spoke
up and said "oh, is that the one where it turns out it's really
[SPOILER]?" Those of you who know the story will understand why
this was somewhat frustrating.

Also the backmatter to the American paperback edition of Donna
Jo Napoli's  The Magic Circle gives away the ending in such a way
as to weaken the story and its emotional impact, in my opinion.

But it is true that most stories don't have such reveals and
punchlines.

-deborah
--
"I assume that some great catastrophe has occured that would
require us to sit upon a weeping lady?"