[DWJ] A revelation of Time City

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Jul 17 14:51:26 EDT 2006

Deborah said...

> How many people here haven't read all of DWJ's books
> that are older than the last five years or so? If you haven't
> read them, how much would you like to be protected from spoilers?

I think I've read (and own!) everything DWJ has published, except
"Changeover", which I have never even seen.

But in any case, I don't at all mind spoilers.  The way I see it, I may
learn, before reading, that X does Y (shock horror), but I still have to
read the book (or see the film) in order to find out *why* X does Y (not to
mention when, and how, and under what circumstances).  I also often read the
last couple of pages of a book when I'm about a quarter of the way through
the book.  This mindset is probably also why I can read whodunnits over and
again.

I do try, however, to put spoiler warnings ahead of major plot points when
talking about books or films; having been soundly smacked down early in my
internet career for revealing an important incident in one of Guy Gavriel
Kay's books, I know that not everyone has read the books I have, and not
everyone shares my casual attitude to spoilers.

All of which is a longwinded way of saying that I don't really care much
what spoiler guidelines may be put in place on this list, but that I will do
my best to abide by whatever they turn out to be.

> (On an entirely unrelated note, that construction I used in the
> first sentence: "I don't think". Does anyone else use it? I'm
> trying to figure out if that's a regional dialect saying or me
> just talking like a freak.)

I use it in that manner all the time.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"