[DWJ] negativity (was A revelation of Time City)

Mon Jul 17 14:22:36 EDT 2006

Minnow, quoting DWJ:

> She herself has been known to say, "We bettn't had!" instead of "We'd

> better not" or "We hadn't better".  :-)

She works that into one of her books, but I cannot remember which one.

Someone is re-emphasising a warning (and I think the warning was

intended as a threat).  I noticed it at the time because I'm sure I

encountered and/or used that form as a child, but I don't think I've

seen it written anywhere else.

Philip.

This was in Archer's Goon which I've just finished re-listening to.
Archer (Erskine) says it to Awful I think though possibly it's to Howard
(Venturus.)

Alison