[DWJ] A revelation of Time City

Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 17 09:52:04 EDT 2006

I think your usage is pretty normal - at any rate, I use constructions of that kind all the time, and - procrustean Latinist grammarians notwithstanding - English speakers from King Alfred on have frequently used double negatives for the purpose of emphasis. (Btw - reviving a recent thread - I heard this Bristolism the other week: 'Where is your car parked to?')

  As for Wilander, my thought (which may or may not be the same as Paul's and is in any case entirely speculative) is.....

  .... that it plays on the old English god Wayland Smith (Wieland in German), and thus provides a sidelong clue as to Dr W's identity as Faber John. To add a piece of circumstantial evidence, the Oxfordshire neolithic long barrow known as Wayland's Smithy is well known to DWJ. She wrote about it in the sixties as a possible setting for Tolkien's barrow wight, and also brings it into The Merlin Conspiracy (though not by name, as Meredith has pointed out http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/merlinnotes.htm).

  Charlie

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk