[DWJ] A revelation of Time City

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Jul 17 09:29:01 EDT 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

|Deborah wrote:
|> It seems to me that the guideline we've vaguely been using
|> over the last years -- which has never been formally stated,
|> I don't think -- is that for certain books, such as Howl's
|
|> (On an entirely unrelated note, that construction I used in
|> the first sentence: "I don't think". Does anyone else use it?
|> I'm trying to figure out if that's a regional dialect saying
|> or me just talking like a freak.)
|
|Used this way round, you mean, contrasting with "I don't think it has
|ever been formally stated"? I don't think (ha) I use it like this
|myself, but I've certainly seen it before. Jennifer

But specifically, with the double negative involved.  Because if
I wrote it the right way round I would actually have said "I
don't think it has never been formally stated".

I'm just wondering if this is in any way related to the local
construction I haven't used since I was a kid, "so don't I" to
mean "so do I.".

Forgive me, I've been spending too much time with linguists.

ObDWJ:  say what you mean, or you'll get all the shoes. :)

-deborah
--
"Tai Chi works wonders when I feel like killing things.
Of course, so does actually killing things."