[DWJ] Re: Green Knowe

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Mon Jul 17 02:59:25 EDT 2006

I was there last year, on a field trip with the Roehampton University Summer
School on Children's Literature. I have to admit I didn't love the Green
Knowe books, but then I was reading them in a rush before we visited the
house and it was probably not the best way to read them. The house itself is
amazing, and I LOVE visiting a place that looks just like the illustrations
in the book and seeing all the items just as they were drawn (by Lucy
Boston's son, was it?) We were shown all the patchwork quilts that Boston
sewed over the years, and there are stories about all the bits of fabric
that make them up - true history unfolding before your eyes. And the
gramophone was unbelievable. I actually brought home a resin cast of Tolly's
mouse  as a souvenir. It has a nice satisfying weight and roundness to it
even though its brown and plastic instead of black and ebony as it should
be.