[DWJ] Dogsbody. Was OT: Diana Hendry

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Thu Jul 13 11:46:59 EDT 2006

Juliette opined:

> I found Dogsbody depressing for similar reasons. There is so much
> cruelty and the main characters don't seem to expect anything else.
> The perpetrators expect to inflict cruelty and the victims expect to
> receive it.

There is a lot of cruelty in Dogsbody, but surely the story is about
endurance and coming through without losing one's own special qualities?

There is sadness in it - Sirius does have to give up Kathleen (if only
temporarily) in order to regain his sphere.  (Not unlike Fire and
Hemlock?)  But Kathleen doesn't have to give up what makes her special
in order to escape from Duffy.

Dogsbody was the first DWJ I read, so I'm biased in its favour.  But I
think the difference here is between portraying cruelty and preaching
it.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432